samedi 12 mai 2007

Radioactivity check after Half-Life D-134

In the field of Physics, the "Half-life" of a radioactive element is the period after which half of the atoms have split into smaller elements, emitting radiations (which is the "radio-activity" that we measure) and losing energy. In an over-simplified way, we could say after a period corresponding to its respective "half-life", a pack of radioactive material has become twice less radioactive.
Well, I think human beings are not like radioactive atoms. Because even after half a life, they have so much energy to beam out and share, sometimes even more than in the first half.
I have 134 days left here in Beijing. I have been here for 92 days already. Time for a "mid-stay" evaluation.
Just today, I was getting on this random bus and seeing where it goes...yes, I did that again. I went north for miles and miles, I think I was actually out of Beijing. It means I had been sitting in that bus for more than 2 hours. I was still amazed at what I was seeing, discovering, new country sights and new faces, new parks and architectural styles, new traveling friends showing me on the map where we actually were, when I got lost.
My Chinese language skills have improved enough to make me confident with going anywhere in the city: if you cannot realize how much that means... just go out in the street, and imagine that you cannot read anything that you see. Nothing. Really. No street name, no parking sign, no subway station name, no bus stop name. You don't even understand the signs on the pavement telling the cars where to park or turn. If you are to actually 'understand' anything, it is by comparing what you see, with the letters in a piece of paper that someone wrote to you, telling you to recognize the signs. That is how I felt in the first weeks. You are even more lost than if you were on your own, because people around, they, are not lost.
Recently, I took up a pretty big responsibility at work; nothing extremely important, but enough for me to feel the responsibility, and take it as the real challenge that it is.
I have stayed in touch with my university back in France, and just sent them a few internship opportunities that I've come across recently.
Making friends with many people here, I think I can say that I kept a balance between foreigners and Chinese people, not staying stuck only with one group.
I call back home from time to time... probably not enough regularly (what do you think!? ;) ).

In the end, I have adapted to most of the very obvious characteristics of life in Beijing, and am now starting to dig deeper in the culture. 3 month's time is probably a good time for it. It's a pity though that so little time is left for it. Hopefully I can find a well someone to help me get a structured approach at Chinese culture and history.
My next steps are to get to know more about the Chinese business environment, and communicate more with my internship responsible back in France, trying to get some perspectives on the potential next professional steps.
On a more personal, side... I really wanna come back to France!!! I miss you all guyssss!!!!! and girlsssss too!! :p
but I'm still having a great time her, for those of you who have a chance to come over here, either in Beijing or in China, don't hesitate to contact me, we'll try to catch up!

Aucun commentaire: